Sunday 20 April 2014

X-Wing board

So, I have a mate coming round today to try out Fantasy Flights X-Wing miniatures game and I realised I don't really have an appropriate playing surface. I normally play at my local gaming club so I haven't really felt the need.

Also, and probably more importantly, I don't really have a spare $50 or $60 kicking around to spend on a vinyl gaming mat, however nice they are.

Time to get building, instead....

First things first, a quick trip to the local hardware store:

You need a board, for X-Wing, you need a 3' by 3'. I couldn't find one this morning but I did manage to grab a 4' by 3', I'll just make it a little smaller by way of masking tape:

 
 Board ready for painting, notice the big ground sheet.
 
 
Next and most importantly, especially if you're spray painting, a decent resperator and propper filters:

 Hey that's me...  :)
 
Obviously you're going to need some sort of spray paint, anything will do really as long as it's cheap and matt:
 
 Paint and disposable gloves
 
 
Next spray the sucker and wait for it to dry:
 
 Board freshly sprayed, just got to let it dry.
 
 
 
Once the board is dry, just go over it with a fine mist of white and then another colour, in this case I used pink:

White for stars and a little pink gives a reasonable effect.
 
 
Lastly, just strip the tape of and you're good to go. This will work fine for today, in the future I'm going to go over the extra edges using a template and my airbrush along with some grey to give it a space ship landing deck feel but this will do for today:
 
Board done along with a few of the mini's to give you an idea of size.
 
So that's it, total cost was $5 for the board and $21 for the 3 spray cans. I'm sure if you live anywhere other than Oz it'll be even cheaper again....
 

No comments:

Post a Comment