Wednesday 13 May 2015

A tale of 3 starters and a little something extra

So it's turning out that 2015 is the year of the Kickstarter for me...   well the year of stuff finally arriving at my house at least.

I've backed 20 Kickstarters over the last few years. Of those, I have received 10, with the 11th coming in dribs and drabs now. It's looking like I should be receiving another 3 in the next couple of months with another 2 or 3 by the end of the year...   hopefully....

So, what does this mean for the current matter, well, with all of this stuff arriving I'm finding I have TONS of stuff to stick together so I thought I would take this opportunity to do a little comparison of some of the starters, currently or recently on the market...  give people an idea of what they're getting.


Here's a couple of Kickstarters, Robotech RPG Tactics and Pulp City that arrived earlier this year.

 
Pulp city looks like it's going to be a lot of fun, but in terms of this review, it doesn't really fit the bill, I want to concentrate on 3 sets that are of a similar price and size. 
 
First of all I'm going to try and assemble all of the mini's from the Robotech set (RRP $99.95) play a few games with them and see how it feels.
 

Next will be Warmachine/Hordes, I was lucky enough to buy both the Warmchine Starter set and the Hordes starter set with a friend and split the 2 boxes up. I took Khador and Legion of Everblight while my friend took Protectorate of Menoth and Circle Orboros. This set retails for $99.99USD


From Games Workshop we have the Deathstorm set, although no longer available, is still quite similar to their current Dark Vengeance starter set, in terms of contents and price. This is slighty more expensive than the other two sets at $125USD.


And lastly, for something completely different, we have an Eisenkern Stormtrooper Rifle Squad from Dreamforge-Games. This is for a possible Cobra (G.I. Joe's mortal enemy) themed Astra Militarum force. This will give people an idea about what the smaller players are doing. This 10 man set, retails for $22USD



My goal is to have everything assembled over the next few months and to get some games in. I'll keep posting updated and some of my trials and tribulations.

Till next time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment